p h o t o g r a p h y
Gallery 1 > City Of Sunderland, UK > Around Sunderland 4
01. Miner's Memorial, Herrington Country Park
02. Cretehawser (Concrete Tug), South Hylton
03. New Wear Crossing, January 2017
04. New Wear Crossing, January 2017
17. Ryhope Engine Museum
18. Stadium Of Light
19. Seaburn Beach Nightscape
20. Roker Lighthouse, from Tunstall Hill
13. Roker Lighthouse, From The Yacht Club
14. Northern Spire, Banks Of The River Wear
15. Northern Spire, Banks Of The River Wear
16. Northern Spire, Banks Of The River Wear
09. The Windmill Meadow, Whitburn
10. Good Morning, Herrington Country Park
11. A Seat With A View, Herrington Country Park
12. When Jack Frost Bites, Herrington Country Park
05. New Wear Crossing, February 2017
06. New Wear Crossing, February 2017
07. The Red Carpet, Houghton le Spring
08. Summer Poppies, Houghton le Spring
21. Stadium Of Light, from Tunstall Hill
22. The Peacock (Formerly The Londonderry)
23. St. Peter's Campus, towards Wearmouth Bridge
Sunderland is a city which lies at the heart of the City of Sunderland metropolitan borough, a part of Tyne and Wear, in North East England. It is situated at the mouth of the River Wear. It is the second City of the North East Region after Newcastle upon Tyne.
Historically a part of County Durham, there were three original settlements on the site of modern-day Sunderland. On the north side of the river, Monkwearmouth was settled in 674 when Benedict Biscop founded the Wearmouth-Jarrow monastery. Opposite the monastery on the south bank, Bishopwearmouth was founded in 930. A small fishing village called Sunderland, located toward the mouth of the river (modern day East End) was granted a charter in 1179.
Over the centuries, Sunderland grew as a port, trading coal and salt. Ships began to be built on the river in the 14th century. By the 19th century, the port of Sunderland had grown to absorb Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth.
A person who is born or lives around the Sunderland area is sometimes colloquially known as a Mackem.
All images are © copyright of Ashley Corr Photography and are protected by law. No unauthorised copying, downloading or reproduction in any other format is allowed without written permission from the owner