p h o t o g r a p h y
Gallery 1 > North-East of England > Newcastle Quayside/ Gateshead Quays (Day)
01. Millennium Bridge (The Blinking Eye)
02. Tyneside Commute, Millennium Bridge
03. Baltic Reflection
04. Swing Bridge, towards Castle Keep
17. Abstract Millennium Bridge
18. Silver Street, towards All Saints Church
19. Baltic Flour Mill Viewing Window
20. A View From The Tyne Bridge (North Side)
13. Dean Street, towards the Tyne Bridge
14. Gateshead Quays, from Mal Maison
15. Swing Bridge, looking Down The River Tyne
16. Blacksmiths Needle, towards Mariners Wharf
09. Millennium Bridge, from Gateshead Quays
10. Baltic Refuge, During A Good Old Downpour
11. Underneath The Arch, Tyne Bridge on GNR Day
12. Quayside Sunday Market
05. Fog On The Tyne (Is All Mine)
06. Swing Bridge & High Level, facing South
07. Banks Of The River Tyne
08. Victoria 22, Sandhill, Newcastle Quayside
21. Spring Has Arrived, Sage Gateshead
22. Moored Along The Tyne
23. Red House Pub, Newcastle Quayside
24. Early Morning, Newcastle Quayside
The Quayside is an area along the banks (quay) of the River Tyne in Newcastle upon Tyne (the north bank) and Gateshead (south bank) in the North East of England, United Kingdom.
The area was once an industrial area and busy commercial dockside serving the area, while the Newcastle side also hosted a regular street market. In recent years as the docks became run-down, and the area has since been heavily redeveloped to provide a modern environment for the modern arts, music and culture, as well as new housing developments. The NewcastleGateshead initiative now lists the Quayside as a top ten attraction.
Along the Newcastle side is an area that houses restaurants, bars and night clubs as well as housing and the Newcastle Law Courts. Quayside is also the name of the street running along the Newcastle riverside.
The Gateshead side of the river is designated and sign-posted as Gateshead Quays. It is the site of the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art and The Sage Gateshead performing arts and conference centre. Also moored on the Gateshead side from 1984 until 2008 was the Tuxedo Princess (replaced for a time by sister ship Tuxedo Royale), a floating nightclub, beneath the Tyne Bridge near The Sage.